Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Reflections on Happiness / Interview with a Stranger

 Me: Good afternoon, sir. Great to see you again. It has been a while. You said you wanted to talk about happiness. Is that correct?

Me2: Yes, I think I do. I have actually found it, I believe. But I am not sure. It has been so many years. I can’t tell if it is happiness or contentment. Or something in between. I need help to figure out what this is that I am feeling.

Me: It does seem strange that you don’t know. Isn’t this something you should recognize right away?

Me2: Maybe. I believe it started over 30 years ago. I guess I should back up all the way to college.

Me: Wow, you should have warned me to wear comfortable shoes for this journey.

Me2: You know I love a good story. Have I ever have done anything quickly? Buckle up!

Me: You have a point. Proceed.

Me2: I could not bring myself to stay where I grew up. I had to move away and prove that I could do what I set my mind to. I finished my degree, then I ended up back in my hometown. Exactly where I did NOT want to be. But I took it in stride and looked for new challenges. I thought it would be marriage and raising a family and becoming a teacher. Becoming a godly man and getting a respectable job. I guess it worked for a few years. But I kept pushing myself to find more challenges to face. More mountains to climb.

Me: So, you are saying you could only be happy if you were challenged and if you were trying to prove yourself? Must have been frustrating.

Me2: Yes, it was frustrating, but I was not sure how to stop. It felt like I was going at full speed and one crisis after another was taking my time away from myself. Chipping off a little more each day until I was just an empty shell. A husk. Always someone I needed to take care of. I remember helping my summer roommate at college in 1989. Young freshman who went out drinking and stumbled back to the dorm. I brought him a trash can and put cold rags on his forehead. This was even before I was married and had kids. I felt the burden of solving a problem or being “the grown up in the room” even then. Of putting others before me even if it scraped away at my psyche. And it never stopped.

Me: How many years did this go on?

Me2: Wow, after about 17 years of marriage I was still caught in that cycle of wins and losses, giving in and giving myself away until there was nothing left. Then in 2008, I decided to take the leap for my doctorate. To finally do something for myself. You could call it selfish, but it was something I always wanted to do.

Me: I would think that would do the trick. Didn’t that make you happy?

Me2: Its crazy but I still felt like a failure. A big, fat failure. I tried to be less of a man, too. Literally. Got into fitness and lost lots of weight. More than once. Felt great for a time and then the weight would come back. As it always did. Anyway, long story short – I finished my doctorate, then started toward tenure, had that derailed, then back on track in a new city, and finally made tenure 33 years after receiving my bachelors. Even after that, I felt I was still not there yet. Still trying to prove myself, although it was a little better. But you know all this. Why am I telling you?

Me: Well, I am you, so that makes sense.

Me2: True. But I am on a roll, so I might as well finish. The last 15 years there was a force of love driving me forward. Loving me when I didn’t love myself. Encouraging me and believing in me. Willing to go anywhere and do anything to make me happy. That is my wife. After the divorce in 2011, I was spent. Empty. Devoid of hope. But her love and her smile brought me back from the dead little by little. She was that invisible force that kept pushing me, but only hard enough to lighten the burden. She was and is the wind behind my back. But even then, I refused to allow myself to be complete. I felt like I had to struggle in order to be happy. That I had to have an impossible challenge facing me at all times. A character flaw I guess. I thought happiness meant always having a boulder and a burden on my back. Having said all that…

Me: (Snort) Sorry, I dozed off there for a minute. Having said ALL that….go on.

Me2: Try to keep up! Having said all that, then came the two years of reset. I was humbled to move back to DFW and start over with something that I used to really love to do. Teach. I poured myself into giving back to high school students and proved that I still had the skills to be an effective educator. Struggles were always there, like trying and failing to train the dog that sadly we had to get rid of after the biting incident. Now that time has passed and I am starting to heal from the pain of that decision, life seems to be settling into a steady rhythm. A steady calm. But you know what’s crazy?

Me: After listening to all this, I would have to say “You!”

Me2: Well, I can’t argue with you there. I would have to be slightly mental to go through all this just to finally reach some semblance of normal. I guess my point is that I now have nothing to fix that is broken, nothing to prove that I haven’t already proven, and all those physical and spiritual needs that have haunted me in the past all seem to be fulfilled. And I guess that scares me. With age comes wisdom and the older I get, the less I enjoy drama, the more I love the simple joy of watching TV and holding my wife’s hand, or the low-key thrill of reading a good book while sipping on coffee. I am simultaneously happy and also mad at myself for not diving headfirst into some new and crazy challenge to prove myself to someone or something again. But now that feeling is in the back of my mind, not ruling everything I do.I also never knew I could be so happy “retired” from religion and embracing doubts as a way of life. Not fearing what happens after this life, but content in experiencing all I can with the life I have in front of me. That has been a delightful surprise.

Me: So it sounds like you have figured it out without me. But it was nice hearing you say it. My only advice to you is – enjoy this happiness while it is in your reach. Challenges are ahead. I 100% guarantee that to be true. But you appear to have strengthened your resolve to face them all with courage. Maybe THAT is the true sign of happiness… knowing that whatever happens in the future, you have seen it all and are ready to face whatever life throws at you.

Me2: Yes, I think that is the point. And looking back in that rearview mirror, I see that all that worry and strife was necessary to make me the man I am today. My inner resolve has taken me to me to some wild and wonderful places. I will no longer feel guilty for being happy. I have to believe it is some kind of reward for all that I have accomplished. And if I know myself, I will not be content until I find another mountain or two to climb. But as long as I have love as the wind in my sails, I can’t fail. Onward and upward!

Me: Great! Very poetic. (Rolls my eyes) Now let’s go to sleep. We have lots of thinking to do tomorrow…and some new mountains to climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment